If a government “advises” its population to avoid theatres bars and restaurants can they claim on insurance for the resulting economic damage?


Rachel Amos
The Senate
17 Mar 2020

A: SenseCheck

  • 0 Yes
  • 1 No
  • 1 Other

Newest Answer Oldest Answer

  • 21 Mar 2020
  • No


    I think you'll find most policies don't cover being forced to close by the government either.

  • Comment

  • 19 Mar 2020
  • Other


    Guidance has been provided but it's not clear.: To some degree, it will depend on the wording of the relevant insurance policy. But if we assume that most policy language is relatively vague and most insurers will try to avoid paying out for Covid-19 related claims (both of which are reasonable assumptions), then the most likely outcome is that claims will fail.


    Adrian Smith
    The Senate

  • Comment